Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Lovelier than Daylight by Rosslyn Elliott

About the Book:

Susanna is a lady of principles who values family above all. Johann seems to represent all she despises . . . but appearances can be deceiving.

In 1875, Susanna Hanby is headed off to college in Westerville, Ohio, when she discovers her sister Rachel and Rachel’s children have disappeared. Susanna suspects that Rachel’s alcoholic husband knows more than he’s saying and she vows to uncover the truth.

Johann Giere is heir to a successful German-American brewery in Columbus, but longs for a career in journalism in New York City. When Johann signs on as the supplier for a new saloon in Westerville, his and Susanna’s paths cross and sparks fly. A fiery temperance crusader, Susanna despises Johann’s profession, but she cannot deny the attraction.

When Susanna learns that Rachel’s children have been indentured to orphanages in the city, she despairs that her family will be fractured forever. But Johann makes Susanna an offer she can’t refuse—pitting her passion and her principles against one another.

If she can find a way for her head and her heart to be in harmony, a future lovelier than daylight awaits her.

Lovelier than Daylight is a story of love and faith based on the Westerville Whiskey War of 1875, a dramatic real historical event featured in the 2011 documentary Prohibition by Ken Burns.

My Review:

5 Stars

Wow, what a great ending to Rosslyn Elliott's Saddler's Legacy trilogy. I think this may have been my favorite in the series or at least tied with book 1, Fairer Than Morning. While technically I think you could read this book without reading the other ones, I am not sure I can recommend that only because all the books are so good and should be read.

I really loved the characters in this book and how they handled the situations they were faced with. It was fun watching Susanna and Johann interact because while they had similar passions there was one thing that stood between them and it was fun to see how they would overcome the issue. I found Susanna courageous and daring in ways with her determination to find Rachel and get her children out of the orphanages. I found this book made me think alot of what would I do if I was in her shoes, and boy it wouldn't be easy.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves historical romance, especially the kind set around real historic events. This one is fun because it deals with a tiny part of history in the state of Ohio that many,many people probably have never heard of. 

Great job, Rosslyn on another fantastic book!

*I received this book from booksneeze.com for the purpose of this review. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment