Sunday, June 9, 2013

That Certain Summer by Irene Hannon

About the book:

Two very different sisters . . . an unexpected homecoming . . . one unforgettable summer

Karen and Val are family-yet they're anything but close. Karen has carried the burden of responsibility for her aging mother ever since her sister left town years ago to pursue a career in theater. But Val had other reasons for moving away-as well as a secret to keep-and coming home has never been an option . . . until their mother suffers a stroke.

Reunited in their hometown, Karen and Val must grapple with past mistakes as they care for their ailing mother. When two handsome men enter the picture, the summer takes on a surprising new dimension. As their lives intersect, can each of them learn how to forgive, let go, and move on? And strengthened by the healing power of faith, might they also find the courage to love?

With her trademark compelling characters and heartwarming hope, award-winning author Irene Hannon pens an inspiring true-to-life tale of complex relationships, the search for forgiveness, and the life-changing process of finding love.

My Review:

I am not sure what I feel about this book. When I got it in the mail I was excited to dig in as it is one of my favorite genres, contemporary, but as I read through I never really felt engaged in the book. The story was good, the characters had depth and the plot felt real but in the end it didn't leave me thinking or sad to leave the characters behind. With that said I have never read Irene Hannon and she is most known for her suspense books. I do know that I plan to try her other books one day as I have heard only good things about them. 

In the end this was not my favorite but I am confident there will be some that love it and something worth checking out. 

* I received this book from Revell for the purpose of this review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment