Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gone South by Meg Moseley

About the book:

The charm of the South drew her back to her family’s roots. But when the town’s old resentments turn the sweet tea bitter, can Tish find a welcome anywhere?

Leaving frosty Michigan for the Deep South was never a blip in the simple plans Tish McComb imagined for her life, dreams of marriage and family that were dashed five years earlier in a tragic accident. Now an opportunity to buy her great-great-great-grandparents’ Civil War era home beckons Tish to Noble, Alabama, a Southern town in every sense of the word. She wonders if God has given her a new dream— the old house filled with friends, her vintage percolator bubbling on the sideboard.

When Tish discovers that McCombs aren’t welcome in town, she feels like a Yankee behind enemy lines. Only local antiques dealer George Zorbas seems willing to give her a chance. What’s a lonely outcast to do but take in Noble’s resident prodigal, Melanie Hamilton, and hope that the two can find some much needed acceptance in each other.

Problem is, old habits die hard, and Mel is quite set in her destructive ways. With Melanie blocked from going home, Tish must try to manage her incorrigible houseguest as she attempts to prove her own worth in a town that seems to have forgotten that every sinner needs God-given mercy, love and forgiveness.

My Review:

Gone South is Meg Moseley's second book and after reading her first I knew she is an author to keep my eye out. When I saw she had a new book out I just had to read it and I am glad I did, it sure did not disappoint.  

In Gone South Tish finds herself buying an old family home and moving to a town where there is more back story and tarnish to her name then she has ever even known. She quickly learns that she is unwelcomed and that the town of Noble does not leave you any good impression of southern charm. Tish is a delight of a character, determined and hurt, but I will have to say Mel stole the story for me, I just loved her. The interactions between Mel and Tish are tender, raw, loving and tough and they are great team and just who each other needed.

I truly enjoyed this story and really felt like I got to know the characters and the setting. A delight of a story to read and one that left me wanting more. If you are in search of a good contemporary drama then this might just be the book for you! I highly look forward to reading more from Meg Moseley in the future.

*I received this book through the Author and her publicist for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment